FIB 2024 WORLD CUP GIRLS 15 CLUB TEAMS
This World Cup tournament for club teams will be played in Skövde, Sweden on January 4-5. Organizers are the Swedish Bandy Association and Skövde BK.
The number of registered teams is 8 of which 7 are from Sweden and 1 from Norway.
Participating teams are Surte/Kareby, Västerås SK, Gripen Trollhättan BK, Skövde BK, Skirö AIK, Villa Lidköping BK, Stabæk IF and Söråkers IF.
FIB has approved exemptions for this tournament as a test in order to enable more teams of girls in this age group to participate and to encourage more young girls to play bandy.
- 9 players in each team including goalkeeper and maximum 5 players on the bench in each game.
- Reduced playing surface, 72 x 40 meters and boards along the long sides.
- Goal cage with lowered bar.
- The squads are allowed to be larger to encourage more young girls to participate. However the lineup for each team during match has a maximum of 14 players and 4 leaders.
- Otherwise normal rules such as offside and corner shots. FIB will evaluate the test together with the organizers after the tournament.
THIS IS SKÖVDE
Skövde is situated 154 km northeast of Gothenburg between Sweden’s two largest lakes, Vänern and Vättern. The Western Main Railway was built through Skövde in the 1850’s, which gave the town a dramatic industrial and population boost. Skövde history goes back to the Medieval Age. In Skövde’s city coat of arms is the image of Saint Elin, also known as Saint Helena who was considered a pious woman from Skövde. She was born about 1101, and was canonized in 1164.
The year 1759 saw the destruction of central Skövde in a large fire. But Skövde recovered. Aurobay and Volvo Group Truck Operations jointly operate one of the world’s largest automotive foundries in Skövde, and are Skövde’s two largest employers. The Volvo Group Truck Operations plant is AB Volvo’s largest producer of industrial diesel engines worldwide and Aurobay produces sustainable, efficient, hybrid engines for Volvo Cars.
Around the year 1900, several Swedish Army units became stationed in Skövde. In 1913 the Skaraborg Regiment also moved here, costing a lot of money. However, the establishment also gave increased consumption and business. Today the garrison is one of the largest in Sweden.